Tuesday, January 31, 2012

You Spare What I Think?

Welcome back reader and writer.  Our little affair had gone south for a bit but we are back and lets just resume the madness and not dwell on why or how we drifted apart.  I have no idea where I am going to watch the Superbowl.  If I had my wish, it would be at home by myself with some fattening foods.  The Superbowl is just as bad as Thanksgiving in terms of people pigging out and not caring about what they stuff into their faces and I am no different.  Shoot me later.  The hangup is I live without TV, so I cannot watch it at home, I have to find a family member or friend who will let me come over.  I just want to be by myself.  During the championship game of any of the sports I fancy I really don't want to be socializing.  I want to watch the game, think my own thoughts and let all that I want soak in.  I want to make sarcastic comments in my head.  If someone is next to me, I tend to let some come out of my mouth.  Depending who I am with, and the level or subject of said comments that can be a good or bad thing, but I don't want to chance it.  Today at work I had a conversation with my fellow worker and it was very pleasant to speak with an older person who was not programmed by the television.  I am the youngest person in my shop by 15 years and the only one without a bald spot, gray hair and a pot belly.  Even though I usually value the company of my elders over my peers or younger people, they are usually programmed the worst.  They didn't have the access to free information at their fingertips most of their lives like young people have had, so I can understand as to why the programming took so well.  They had to take the television at its word because for the most part that was all there was.  People didn't carry around the entire encyclopedia A to Z in their pocket in the form of a phone.  Information was much more controlled on a mass level.  "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is mostly true.  I believe you can do it, it just takes a much bigger effort than with a puppy.  They did have books, but with that 40 hour work week and time spent drinking there isn't much time left to read.  A good amount of people associate reading with school and not many people like school.  Even the ones who sign up for extra school and spend thousands of dollars on it complain and bitch about their "education" and how much it sucks.  So when the majority finally finishes school, they finish books too.  A crying shame.  I am lucky.  I never liked school, and didn't read the textbook if I didn't have to so me and books have a solid relationship.  I always had my own book hidden inside the textbook so it looked like I was being studious when in fact I was in another world altogether and if a teacher called on me I might even get startled.  Can you leave me alone?  I am trying to educate myself, thank you.  History books were the biggest joke to me and we'll just leave that one right there by itself..........................I Heard You Paint Houses.  Now that's a history book.  Days Of Infamy, another real history book.  I read that one when I was ten years old, and they wanted me to take their textbook history seriously! HAHAHAHAHAHA!  I kept most of what I read to myself back in my youth.  Oh I had tried debating with my parents about what the TV was feeding them but they, like most people, got too emotional to have a debate or resented the fact that some young kid was telling them all they thought they knew was wrong.  I don't really blame them.  I can have pie in the sky wishes about what I think the ideal parent would have done but that's really water under the bridge and a moot point at best.  So I spent most of high school in my room alone, with my Columbia House tape collection and any books I could get my hands on.  I think it was 10 CDs or 20 tapes for a penny.  Give me those 20 tapes!  I remember the selection was huge and you had to lick the stamp of the album you wanted and stick it in the appropriate spot.  At one point I was getting a box in the mail almost daily and my mom was wondering where I got the money to send away for all this music that she was constantly telling me to turn down.  Ahhh, that feels better.  Goodnight. (smiley face)

No comments:

Post a Comment