Friday, January 20, 2012

I Am The Lord Of Your Thighs

Politics. Where to begin?  Where to end?  Politics gives team sports a bad name.  It may be that if you aren't a fan of sports then what can you root for with that same die hard emotional attachment but a political party.  There are many reasons why people don't like sports, but I think the one that those people most have in common is that they aren't athletic or view themselves as bad at sports.  It makes sense, it is a pride thing.  Yes there are always exceptions to any generalizations, no doubt there are people out there that are fans who have never picked up a ball in their life, but I totally get why some people aren't sports fans.  I am not here to convince you to be one if you happen to be one of those people, but again, like I wrote, who can you root for? The military of your country? The god of your chosen religion?  World peace?  Go world peace go!  You can do it!  So, every day, but over a broader scale in this country, every four years, masses and masses of people pick up their pom poms and start the cheer-leading.  Whoever cheers the loudest wins!  Not really, but by observing the nation's citizens as a whole you can tell that is what they think.  Do whatever it takes to win!  Ironic to me how it seems the people are the only ones who never win.  Oh, before I forget, just because I do not vote, doesn't mean I am not allowed my opinion.  I am a natural citizen who pays bloody taxes like the rest of you so those two facts themselves give me the right to say whatever I want, just like you have the right to say I, (by not voting) don't have any place to gripe or complain or whine or whatever label you want to affix to my opinions to try and discredit them and make yourself feel good.  The parties baffle me.  Aren't we all on the same side here?  America?  To get a little lofty here but just for a second, I don't think borders or countries should exist, and it has NOTHING to do with my taste in music so stick that old world 60's propaganda in your pipe and smoke it.  Ok back to a somewhat lower level of my soapbox so you can at least see me.  Why parties?  Why label ourselves democrats and republicans and tea party people and freedomtarians and whatever silly names they are now making up?  Why can't we just be humans?  Together.  Working for the greater good.  Why not? To me, all the labels do is play on our dumbass human emotions and insecurities and complexes and whatever else disorder you have probably diagnosed yourself with.  They divide.  They conquer.  It is very hard to have an intellectual conversation with someone if your feelings are hurt by the other person's opinions of the world in general, not even their thoughts about you as a person.  People get way too emotionally attached to their opinions and treat them like they make slow sweet love to them every night.  I like very much to be proven wrong.  The exact opposite of how most view me.  Most think I am just out to prove myself right and that couldn't be further from the truth.  If I am proven wrong, or come across an opinion that I agree with more than the one I previously had, it means I have learned something, the least of which would be I learned how to change my opinion.  That act in itself is a valuable tool used in the process of one's education.  Kill your TV.  Please.  I do not have any fancy graphics and I am not sitting in your living room, unavoidable by you.  I believe the first step to thinking outside the box is to turn off the one or five in your house.  It is almost a must.  That glowing piece of furniture is relentless.  It does not stop.  You can't control it and no matter how many times you change the channel the overall message will be the same.  I wasn't always like this.  In my youth I watched my fair share, had my favorite shows (MacGyver) and looking back if it wasn't for my passion of reading I would have been even more influenced by the TV than I already was.  I can't pinpoint when I started to think it was just one big fish tale but I do know when I turned 18 and it came time to register to vote, I chose independent because I at least had the feeling that I did not want my thoughts tied down by a particular party.  Whoa there this turned out long.  I will stop now and maybe pick up on this thought tomorrow, or maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment