Sunday, January 15, 2012

Eyetalians Sure Can Cook

Eudora was the name of  my cashier at the grocery store today.  I really enjoy meeting someone that has a name that I haven't already met someone else with the same name before.  I like meeting new people of any name of course but I get that extra little kick out of my personal discovery of a new name.  Is a name a label?  I'm not sure.  It is a way of identifying someone, it's much better than saying "hey you" I guess.  I guess.   I may have to stop all this literary guessing.  I see it popping up in my writing a bit too much for my liking.  I want to stay diverse with my phrases and words and am very conscious of developing a crutch, much like the "to be honest" crutch which so many lean on daily.  That particular preface of so many statements bothers me more than any other of the verbal crutches, by far.  I sometimes get the notion to take the opposite stance and preface an opinion with, "well to be perfectly fraudulent,  I just cannot stand cheese on my apple pie".  Which by the way is a completely false statement.  I like whipped cream or ice cream on my pie, not cheese.  I suppose (not guess!) that in a state like Vermont where so much cheese is made, people had to start branching out with the way it was used.  Care for an apple omelet?  I would try one, but doubt my liking it.  Though I never thought I would like a peanut butter and american cheese sandwich before I was made to try one by my cousin.  I used to be one of those who said the word never when it came to the idea of trying a new food or combination, but then I read Mr. Bourdain's? Kitchen Confidential  and he made trying weird sounding foods seem so cool.  I read that book right after it came out, way before he made it big and I feel obligated to tell you that because that is how much I dislike being associated with pop culture.  He also made cooking seem cool and not so feminine as my then caveman-like brain had thought.  He was crude and swore often in that one and that just added to the coolness, because duh, all the cool kids swear. (wink)  Picking your nose stimulates your brain, so if you are ever at a loss of words sometime give it a try.  It is also quite an icebreaker!  Ah, where does the silliness end?  Hopefully never.  I heard or read that the most key element in humor is surprise and I think it's right up there with truth.  The funniest quips or jokes are usually soaked in truth, and combine that with the element of surprise and you can then leave people in proverbial stitches.  I wonder what the origin of that saying is.  Stitches.  They were a badge of honor to a young boy.  How many you had to get directly correlated to how glorious your injury was.  Five stitches, that's it?  Why even bother dude?  Slap a band-aid on that thing and lets go play.  Mom!  "There's that swear word again", my mom used to say.  I wonder how many thousands of times a mother hears that word/command/plea/question/ during the raising of just one child.  Somewhere a study has had to have been done that can give me that statistic.  "Most people use statistics like a drunkard uses a lamppost, to lean on not for illumination." I think that is Twain and I am not sure I got it word for word, but if I go and try to research every minute detail this blog will start to consume me, and I am not safe for consumption.  Was that clever enough?  As the great Tigger would say, TTFN.

No comments:

Post a Comment