Saturday, January 14, 2012

Will Poop For Pancakes

Greetings my dear reader!  Welcome to my Saturday morning.  Remember Loony Tunes on Saturday mornings?  Those cartoons were the motivation to wake up early on Saturday, for children and adults.  Duck season!  Fire!  At some point I graduated to the fishing shows on ESPN during my Saturday mornings, before those outdoor channels existed and also before the shows were pretty much commercials for new products as they are now.  The content time has gone way down during the fishing and hunting shows and the hawking of new wares has gone up.  The sponsors' effort to hide their advertising, or actually the hosts' efforts to try and sneak these new products in DURING the show is going down by the episode.  It is bad enough we have to watch commercial time between segments go up but now when the show comes back on, so does the commercial.  It is so repetitive.  I always said I would have my own fishing show, and now that I am starting to act on things I've always just before only said and thought, well my vision of it has slightly changed.  I will not do it for profit.  I will, if it ever gets that popular, only accept enough advertising to run the show.  I use the word I too much.  But also, of course would only push a product that I really used and believed in.  I kind of always hammed it up while fishing anyway, maybe subconsciously thinking that I had to provide some sort of entertainment to my companion.  I often would take/drag people who admittedly weren't into fishing that much so I wanted them to have fun.  There is no one I spent more hours with on water than my father, and conversation was kept to a minimum with him.  Looking back, all that quiet taught me very much.  Patience for one, which I think unless it is learned very young, is very hard to attain, especially in this instant gratification society that most of us now live in.  People are programmed to push a button and get results, NOW.  Fishing is almost never like that.  One of my father's sayings (and there were many) was along the lines of, "If you caught something every time you went, it would be called catching, not fishing."  That just made too much sense, so an argument I couldn't conjure up, and ask my mother, for me that is rare. Speaking of Mom, when we were little she had this all glass, see-through cookie jar that if you looked at it wrong it gave off a little ting.  My mother having canine ears, would then be able to hear from anywhere in the house when one of the children decided to try and pilfer a cookie.  That jar helped me perfect the now dying art of cat burglary.  Feigning sleep at night was the best option, but waiting until the vacuum was on was also as close to a sure thing as there was. Knowing which stairs creaked on your way downstairs was a must.  Sweets when I was young were the exception not the rule which is probably why my favorite cereals are Corn Flakes and Wheaties and the like.  I miss online poker, just one more reason for me to not like the current government.  As you can see I don't much care for paragraphs or indenting.  I don't want to give you a rest!  Even for a second.  Writing about writing while thinking about thinking about writing about writing.  And away we go!  This stuff is very personal, but I think all writing is, no matter what the subject is.  I always thought it was very vain to write, and think that others would want to read said writing, but as you can see I am over that now.  I am not as self-absorbed as I think I am.  Or am I? Questions are so cool, and I like how the word quest is the base.  It implies adventure, and those choose your own adventure books were the cat's meow.  I would go back and read every choice, but that first "edition" that was your own choice was pretty exciting.  Someone should write adult versions of those. Ok bye. (smiley face)

No comments:

Post a Comment